Oddities&Endities

Wednesday, April 05, 2006


Crackpot route for confused sat-nav drivers
By Paul Stokes
(Filed: 05/04/2006)

Modern technology is providing a route to madness for motorists and driving people to distraction in a tiny Yorkshire Dales hamlet called Crackpot.
Satellite navigation is directing strangers on to a steep unclassified road, impassable to normal road vehicles and with a 100ft drop on one side.
Salesmen, delivery men and minibus drivers have been caught out while taking what their electronic equipment shows them to be the quickest route.
Many ignore a no through road sign and open a five-bar gate before trying to continue along a gravel track linking Swaledale and Wensleydale.
It has led to farmers having to rescue them with tractors as the vehicles become stuck on an S-bend then try to reverse out of trouble.
• Crackpot was known as Crakepot back in 1298, a name deriving from the Old English "kraka" for crow and the Viking word "pot" which is a cavity or deep hole often in a river bed. In Crackpot's case "pot" refers to a rift in the limestone.
Daily Telegraph

4 Comments:

Blogger colcam said...

Serves 'em right.

The country, which isn't that big anyway, is positively groaning under the weight of road signs. I've never seen the need for one myself.

I do have a hand-held GPS thingamijig, but that gets used to plot map refs and occasionally to help me find myself in the mountains.

11:47 AM  
Blogger ByronB said...

The only problem I have with road signs is, that the ones I am following invariably disappear just before I reach my destination, while I am still in unknown country.

It's been reported that the number of accidents caused by drivers distracted by sat-nav is rising fast and will soon equal that of mobile phones.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

OOh, that's what happens to me when I drive to Canada through Detroit! There's a tunnel there, I know there is, but they keep moving the damn thing.

What was wrong with maps, again?

9:10 PM  
Blogger ByronB said...

If it's a long straight tunnel that goes from top to bottom or side to side of the page, then it could be a crease in the map. For years we avoided a certain road that appeared to drive through a large murky bog until we found out that it was the remains of a jam sandwich that had been trapped when the atlas was closed too hastily.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home